Sunday, October 21, 2012

Uggh... I have too

This year has been filled with so much discovery about my hair. I've spent countless hours researching black hair, AGA, and products that I honestly can say I am an expert on my hair.  That makes me happy to acknowledge.

I've been stretching my relaxers from the every 4 weeks that I use to do.  Now I have worked my way up to 12 weeks and I feel both excited and sad.  Excited because I achieved my goal.  I can control my hair to my satisfaction for the most part regardless of the condition of the week. Sad because the reality is, there isn't that much to relax at 4-8 weeks like I was doing.  I'm not joking.  There is literally no noticeable growth in my hair until 10-11 weeks. Interesting that I felt the need to relax ever 4 weeks.  What was I relaxing? My nerves apparently.  Any way my hair at 12 weeks has about 1/4" of new growth in some places, and much less in others.  My hair appears noticeably thick and healthy.  No breakage ( this week) and no shedding.  I am nervous to  push the relaxer past 12 weeks as I do not want to temp fate.  I really don't want to relax my hair because I absolutely hate how it feels without the new growth.  hate. it.   yes my hair is longer but the straighted roots also highlight the thinness of my hair.

So, I will relax this week.  I am not looking forward to the process, but I understand my mission: " Protect my ends first, the roots will grow when they are ready" I will section off my hair and process it in stages according to new growth thickness.    I washed, and treated my hair with protein today so that I can straighten my hair and leave it that way until my relaxer at the end of the week. That way, I won't confuse wrinkled roots with new growth and relax it unnecessarily .

a better day today,
~JKPS

No comments:

Post a Comment