Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"My apologies for flipping my hair"


I've been dealing with AGA for a serious 3 years.  I've seen countless doctors, herbalists and specialist, most of which were completely clueless about what AGA is, what an androgen is? why certain products will work on certain types of hair loss and not others.  I found myself using my hard earned co-pay money schooling them on AGA.  I finally met a doctor last year who was anything but unaware of her clueless-ness.  She has been a wonderful partner and advocate for me and my plight.  She respects my research, my focus, my questions and my willingness to try almost anything to hold off the inevitable. She has not once let her lack of knowledge about AGA affect her care and treatment of mine.

I had a follow up with her this week and as we discussed my new bald spots and hair loss concerns, she flipped her hair.  She was immediately aware that I may be sensitive to such a effortless and silly thing as someone flipping their hair, but none the less offered me her apology, "my apologies for flipping my hair, I don't mean to be insensitive"  I hadn't noticed the flip and I was more embarrassed that she felt the need to apologize for something that was not meant to be harmful in any way. 

I wondered, do I appear so fragile to this medical confidant that she felt I would be reduced to worry or tears are she stroked and flipped her gorgeous waist length hair? Geez, really?  I thought I hid my issues pretty well from most.  I admit I noticed her hair many times. Its literally waist length, raven colored, thick and healthy.  She appears to be my age, holding up well and very attractive.  Of course I have a teeny bit o' hair envy and would love to flip mine...if I wasn't afraid a bald spot would show.!

"no worries"  I said.  "I'm ok". And I was.  I then quickly moved our conversation back me, my plight and her recommendations for the next year.  I honestly appreciated the small recognition that I am in pain and anguish over my hair loss and even the smallest amount of compassion and understanding is greatly welcomed.

later~

No comments:

Post a Comment