Friday, June 15, 2012

Throwing Rocks

I have a friend who back about 3 years ago decided that she and my other friends had had enough of me being sad and sick over my hair. She decided to speak for the group and herself to tell me that I need to snap out of it and let it go. It's just hair and should not be affecting me this way. Now on the surface It could seem to some that she could be right. But the reality who is she or anyone else to tell me or anyone else how to feel about themselves or what energy at chose to spend as they see fit?

 I've found that people feel very strongly about their hair. Either they strongly support the energy and focus they spend on their hair or they strongly support the position of no energy and focus on hair. I've also found it to be true that the amount and condition of the persons own hair weights heavily on where they are in the argument.

 My friend doesn't put much focus on her natural hair.   She's never very had much of it, has never really taken care of it herself and has worn weaves for much of the time period that I've known her. I find a good bit of hypocrisy in her arguments that hair "doesn't matter" . First... If hair doesn't matter then why spend so much of your energy and financial resources purchasing, installing and maintaining weave? If it doesn't matter... Why do you feel the need to weave at all? Why does it bother you so much that other women, like me, don't mind speaking about their own? So I was very defensive when she recently stated that she just doesn't " get it" why do you spend so much time on your hair? " really, I said?..with firm silence. "I guess to each his own" she said. I ended the conversation with her right there, As I could feel the anger swelling in my spirit.

 Now I care for her, so I chose not to go completely in and set her straight  She seems jsust as sensitve about her hair choices as I do mine.    I am aware that her ignorance and intolerance for the energy and focus that I choose to spend on myself pales in comparisons to the amount she spends on herself  and talking down something that is important to me. So I let my silence speak for me... When she didn't hear any defense from me.... She said I guess to each his own.

You're damn right.  I thought living in a glass house when you like to throw rocks must suck.
 Lesson... Respect and Tolerance for others along with a closed mouth can be priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment