So, since I am just too outdone by the sudden acceleration of my AGA and the very brittle, breaking and frizzy condition of my hair. I decided to speak to a herbalist. Why? well, just because I haven't given up the fight ...yet.
I took everything I am taking in for review..... I complained that in the last 6-7 months, my hair has transformed from long healthy and smooth to stringy, frizzy and breaking. I explained my AGA seemed under control and just suddenly went haywire. I have no new balding...but my progress and thickening on my current trouble areas seemed to have halted and the strands seem thin.
Of course I got a "side eye"from her...me standing there with what seems like a thick healthy head full of hair. Then I show her my videos......and side eye ended. It's obvious looking at my video diary and looking at my hair now...that something happened.
She looked closely at my hair and scalp. She empathized with my plight and seemed truly interested in helping me get answers.After looking over the various hair supplements, vitamins and herbs I currently take....she dropped me to my knees when she said....its the FO TI ROOT. Say what?, I asked. Then like a a tv movie a flash back to me back in December starting aphogee hair vitamins and then Shen min...both with the main ingredient being fo ti root..... my hair has gotten worse and worse since I started taking them! Sick to my stomach.. I asked why?... How can an herb touted by so many for hair thickening and growth have the opposite effect on me?
Apparently, Fo ti Root is great for growing hair, stop hair fall and gray reversal...for some. For others...the high estrogen content can wreck havoc on hair and skin. Say what?! She says that the Shen min that I have been taking seems to have caused an imbalance in my hormones that my body cannot correct. It is most likely what is giving me the new and unwelcomed problems with my hair's condition and texture. She recommended I stop Shen Min immediately give it a few months and see if she is correct. Everything else I take like fish oil, evening primrose, biosil etc. seemed ok to continue.
Floored isn't enough of a word. The number one rule of those like me in the AGA fight is to balance hormones and keep them balanced. I take oral contraceptives on an 80 day cycle to make sure mine stay the same. I had no idea that fo ti root had such a high estrogen content and no idea that it could send the hormone balance I'd worked so hard to get into complete chaos. no idea.
At home, I spend the next few days reading everything I could about fo ti root and its high estrogen content and estrogen itself. I guess it explains why some women take it and see miraculous results and others see nothing. Each of us is different with our own perfect make up of hormones. Some need more and some need less. Mine have to be in complete balance is what I was told years ago when I was first diagnosed. If she is correct about Shen Min... its sad that I didn't dig deep enough before I took it.
I'm not mad. It's not anyone's fault but my own. It was worth a try taking shen min as with all of the others I have taken over the years. This is the first time getting knocked on my butt though and it hurts. Shen min is gone and I've started what I hope will be a recovery. If she is right, my hair texture should return to normal in 2-3 months. Maybe the thinning and breakage will cease too. I certainly hope so. I've tried so many hair vitamins, herbs and supplements. I researched each and every one until I was sure it would first do no harm and second ...have a chance to slow my AGA. Shen min seems to have gotten past me.
Hard to believe. Harder to accept.
up from here....JKPS
No comments:
Post a Comment